Following the trend from update releases on iOS 9, Apple released iOS 10 officially on September 13, 2016 and trust me, it definitely came along with it’s pros and cons. iOS 10 is the tenth major release from Apple Inc. The update brings with it several new features of which new Messages app with enhanced emoji, stickers, Digital Touch and iMessage apps are just a few of the goodies available for users.
Before we go on to talk more about iOS 10, what should come to mind first is if your device is actually compatible with the OS. If you are in doubt about your device being good enough,feel free to check out the list of devices that support iOS 10 below;
- iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4, iPad 4th generation, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro 9.7 inch and iPad Pro 12.9 inch
- iPod touch 6th generation.
Any device other those listed above will not operate with the iOS 10.
So far so good, Apple has released 10 updates to improve the iOS 10 after the company made it’s debut OS release. Listed below are the various updates and their release date;
- iOS 10.3.3 release: July 9, 2017
- iOS 10.3.2 release: May 15, 2017
- iOS 10.3.1 release: April 3, 2017
- iOS 10.3 release: March 27, 2017
- iOS 10.2.1 release: Jan. 23, 2017
- iOS 10.2 release: Dec. 12, 2016
- iOS 10.1.1 release: Oct. 31, 2016
- iOS 10.1 release: Oct. 24, 2016
- iOS 10.0.3 release: Oct. 17, 2016
- iOS 10.0.2 release: Sept. 23, 2016
- iOS 10 release: Sept. 13, 2016
- iOS 11 release: Sept. 19, 2017
For all updates compatibility with all of the devices in the list above was maintained. Most of the updates primarily delivered bug and security fixes. When comapred to iOS 9 which supported the same devices as is predecessor; iOS 8, iOS 10 does not support all devices with Apple A5 processors.
Hence, devices like iPhone 4s, iPad 2, iPad 3rd Gen, original iPad mini, and iPod touch 5th Gen are not supported. They are now regarded as old and antique devices 🙂 if you use any of these, then it is high time you change your device.
Steps on How to download iOS 10
Downloading and installing iOS 10 is as simple as you can think. The same rules apply for the update of every OS. You either choose to download it over
With the right things in place, the easier of the two methods is downloading over Wi-Fi.
On your device, go to Settings –> Tap General –> Tap Software Update and the update for iOS 10 (or iOS 10.0.1) should appear. Simply follow the screen prompts and you will be done with the process in due time.
If you prefer the second method;
Open iTunes on your PC with your device connected –> Select your device, then Click on Summary –> Check for Update –> Click Download and Update.
Do note that: For the base version of iOS 10, free space of about 1.1 GB is needed.
If you do not have enough space, you can free up some space but deleting files and apps you do not need.
Go to Settings –> Click on General –> and then on Storage & iCloud Usage –> then Manage Storage(ensure it is located under Storage and not the option under iCloud).