A lot of times, we find ourselves in a situation where we need to delete the content of our iPhones and restore the backup. One thing with a mobile device is that you may be extra careful yet you will find your device not functioning correctly sometimes.
This is why it is very important to create a backup of your iPhone content to either the iCloud or another device. Incase your iPhone starts acting up, you can easily restore the backup.
Before we talk about how to restore your iPhone, it is important you first know how to create a backup of your iPhone content.
Always create an iPhone backup
The importance of backing up your iPhone, cannot be overemphasized. Hence, it is advisable to set up a scheduled backup to ensure the backup is regular and up to date. How regularly you decide to backup your iPhone is completely up to you. You can set up an automatic 24 hours’ backup to iCloud, or simple backup whenever you connect to your computer and open iTunes.
Restoring your iPhone from iCloud
You can restore your iPhone from iCloud only if you have previously created a backup on your iCloud. So this section is written with the assumption that you have already created a backup on iCloud.
Therefore, check to ensure you have a backup file. To check this, open Settings app, click on the top item marked with your name and then you click on iCloud, next you click on Manage Storage. Select iCloud Backup, here you see when the last backup was done.
If you are resetting your phone before restoring the backup, follow the instruction below:
- Go to your Settings app.
- Next, click on General from the list of options.
- Click on Reset from the options listed on the next screen
- Tap on Erase All Content and Settings
Following the above-listed instruction will successfully Delete all content and Settings from your iPhone. To restore from your iCloud, follow the instruction below:
- Start your iPhone device
- Follow the setup steps, until you get to Apps & Data screen.
- Click on Restore from iCloud Backup.
- Next, sign in to iCloud with your Apple ID. Use the same information you use when you want to purchase an item on the Apple Store.
- Select which backup you want to restore by clicking on Choose backup. Ensure you check the size and date of the backup to ensure you are restoring the most recent backup file.
- If everything is done correctly, the file transfer will start.
- After you finish restoring your account from iCloud, your device will start downloading your purchased items (Music, movies, apps, etc.)
- You may be required to enter your iTunes Store or other iOS Store password to download some purchased items. A progress bar will appear on the Home screen for each app being downloaded.
Restore your iPhone from iTunes
iCloud is not the only method you can use to restore your iPhone; you can also restore from iTunes. However, to use this method, you must have made a backup using iTunes. So, if you already have a backup on your iTunes, follow the steps to restore your iPhone.
- First, you need to connect your iPhone to your computer where you have the iTunes installed using a USB cable.
- Open iTunes on the computer where you have the backup. Click on the phone icon that appears at the top left of the iTunes window.
- Next, click on Summary from the menu present on the left.
- Ensure that the checkbox for automatically backing up to This Computer is checked (selected).
- You will see two ‘Restore’ options. The top one will perform a backup using the most recent iCloud. While the second option will allow you to manually restore specific items you have saved earlier.
- Ensure that your iPhone is still connected to your computer after it restarts, and wait till it syncs. You can then disconnect after the sync is complete.
Restore your iPhone using “Set Up as a New iPhone” Option
In an event where all the effort to restore fails, you may want to try the method. The downside of this method is that you are starting with a new iOS installed on your device. Which might not be a bad thing after all. You can also select what you want to sync with your device (contacts, calendar, notes, bookmarks, and email accounts). Click on Done after you are done with your selection.
Once the initial sync is finished, you can transfer your apps, songs, and any other item you may have purchased or downloaded to your iPhone previously. To do this, go to your iTunes and select the items you want to sync to your iPhone. After making your selection, click on Apply (shown at the lower right corner of the iTunes window).
Do you have any questions regarding restoring your iPhone, kindly use the comment section and we will reply as soon as possible. Also, remember to share this article with your family and loved ones.