In a situation where you want to give your iPhone to a friend or want to sell it out, you have to wipe the phone clean first and erase all your personal data such as messages, photos, and other files. Certainly, it only takes a few steps to get it done, and it makes sure your data are protected.
Prior to wiping your iPhone, you have to make sure you have backed up your device up to date. Whenever you are connected to Wifi, iCloud automatically backs up your device overnight. To back up iPhone device make sure the device is connected to Wifi then follow these steps:
- Go to the settings app from your home screen
- Click on the apple ID banner at the top of your iPhone screen
- Click on the Apple ID banner and then on iCloud.
- Then scroll down a bit to find the iCloud back then you click on it
- Click on the switch to turn it on.
- Click on ok in the pop-up.
If you desire to use iTunes, you should activate a manual update to make sure you have all your recent data backed up then follow these steps:
- Connect your iPhone device to your personal computer, then launch iTunes.
- Click on the iPhone icon that appears in the menu bar.
- Next, click on backup now, for security reasons you can click on Encrypt Backup and add a password.
You can also back up your apps if asked. Definitely, your data has been backed up you can then proceed to wipe your iPhone by:
- Going to your setting page from your device home screen
- Click on General and then scroll down to the bottom of your phone screen
- Click on Reset.
- Click on Erase All Content and Settings. If your device has a restriction password you will have to enter your password to reset or erase your device.
- Enter your ID password to turn off activate the lock and remove your device from finding my iPhone.
In conclusion, this video show how to erase your iPhone. But be sure you have read the above article and have backed up your data.